Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fudging the Data


Two summers ago, I happened across a Wikipedia article about an alleged ghost town in Kentucky what go by name of Fudge.

I don't remember exactly what I was doing that afternoon, but I was probably tussling with stuff relating to my multiple pastimes of theatre, painting, music, writing, eating, and drinking, and hastily whipped up a quickie UnK post basically relaying the info that this Wikipedia page about this ghost town existed. And then wandered off in search of adventure.

Now, two years later, it has come to my attention that - shockeroo - Wikipedia just might be a load of baloney. I know for a fact they're consistently wrong about a number of subjects (including myself!) and I've heard some rumblings on the web that this Fudge article is a fabrication from start to finish.

Unfortunately, these rumblings come from places like the dreaded Topix, which is one of those typical internet message boards where angry people bicker with one another endlessly about nothing. Still, if the people in the Hickman area are all saying they've never ever heard of this "Fudge" place, it makes me wonder.

The usda.gov link that the Wikipedia page provides as a source for the Fudge article contains, in fact, no mention of a Fudge, KY. And some Flaming Lips fans have stated that, contrary to the article, there is no such thing as a video for the song "Chrome Plated Suicide".

Does anyone else have any evidence for this fabled Fudge other than this increasingly suspect Wikipedia article?

1 comment:

spooky said...

Hey there, I posted as "wikifauna" on the topix page and rewrote the wikipedia page. It was probably a few year back that I found the page, probably right after its creation. I wanted to go, and looked and looked for directions, but couldn't find anything, and no music video (which the page had mentioned).

in any case, i went looking for Fudge, Ky-- and found nothing. nothing historically, nothing via satellite photos, nothing adding any credibility to the claims of the town to begin with.

this might call for my own blog post. i'll keep you updated at:

http://thrillseekingbehavior.wordpress.com/