Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Yarmuth offended by Michael Jackson tribute


Wow, I finally found something I disagree strenuously with Kentucky Congressman John Yarmuth on. Mr. Yarmuth recently complained about the moment of silence held in honor of Michael Jackson last week on the House floor.

Yarmuth is quoted thusly on Politico:

"I thought it was outrageous," Yarmuth told a Los Angeles radio station Monday. "In my two and a half years, we’ve never done that for anybody else who’s a celebrity. We’ve done it for former members, and that’s about it, for former members who’ve passed away. … I basically got up and walked back to the cloakroom and got off the floor, because I just thought it was totally uncalled for and over the top."

Did I say "disagree strenuously"? Well, actually, I couldn't really care less if a bunch of old guys in Washington bow their heads in silence for MJ or not - it's mainly the principle of the thing, that Yarmuth felt it necessary to express umbrage about paying even this token respect to the most popular showbiz icon of our times since Elvis.

(Meanwhile, you can read my own cranky thoughts in defense of Michael Jackson's life and times here on the Transylvania Gentlemen blog.)

No comments: