Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ghost Signs of Georgetown


Some places cover up and destroy their Ghost Signs in the name of modern seemliness; others just leave 'em alone as a silent tribute to their old-old-school charm.

The folks in Georgetown have taken yet a third tack: they touch them back up with paint, restoring them to their original appearance.


I'm of two minds on the matter. Part of me is very intrigued by the idea, and I enjoyed the feeling of being on a movie set, or in some sort of time warp, walking in downtown Georgetown. But I also cringe slightly at the notion of "improving" the Ghost Signs. The signs probably should, as with any antiques, be left alone in their current state and not monkeyed around with.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of touching them up. Keeps them around for future gehnerations to admire.

Heather said...

What's SSS For the Blood?

JSH said...

I have no idee.... but I could use me some o' that.

Actually, I just googled it and it turns out they still manufacture the stuff to this very day!